Re: Is the range regular expression [1-9] valid in Oracle SQL?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:23:42 GMT

In article <3A0A790E.3DA9D5FA_at_gdc.lucent.com>,   "Zhang, Leon Lin" <leonz_at_gdc.lucent.com> wrote:
> --------------F5D8E2BA96E0377FEC96B28F
>
> Hi friend,
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on the following problem/question?
>
> I created one table about login information in oracle8.0.5. In it one
 field is
> login name and its data type is varchar2(8). I have known there are 9
 rows in
> which the value of the 'login' field are from 'stud1' to 'stud9'. So
 I wanted to
> try the rang regular expression [1-9] in the following format.
> select * from <table_name> where login like 'stud[1-9]';
> But it showed no rows selected. I guessed the Oracle didn't think
 that the [1-9]
> is a range regular expression. If I omitted the pair of single
 quotation mark.
> It will be failed.
>
> Would you like to help me look into this problem? I just know that in
 Ingres the
> range regular expression [1-9] will be accepted, but it must go with
 'escape'
> operator.
>
> Thanks a lot!!
>
> Leon L. Zhang
> --------------F5D8E2BA96E0377FEC96B28F
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Zhang;Leon
> tel;work:Lucent Technology Qingdao
> x-mozilla-html:TRUE
> url:http://gdcsr60.gdc.lucent.com/~leonz/
> org:TMS team, GDC (Global Design Center);R&D
> adr:;;159 Zhu Zhou Road, Qingdao Hi-tech Industrial
 Park.;Qingdao;ShanDong Province;266101;P.R.China
> version:2.1
> email;internet:leonz_at_gdc.lucent.com
> title:TMS Administrator
> x-mozilla-cpt:;-11816
> fn:Zhang, Lin Leon
> end:vcard
>
> --------------F5D8E2BA96E0377FEC96B28F--

Instead of an answer (which I posted in a different group to the same query) a few mandatory and necessary remarks: The first is : please do not use HTML and do not attach vcards, many newsreaders can't deal with HTML and attachments The second is : Please do NOT CROSSPOST. You're not necessarily getting a bigger audience, better replies or whatever. You're wasting bandwith, you might get conflicting answers, and for myself: I usually don't waste my time on responding to posts which have already been responded to.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply