Re: Fast inserts with ADO and Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:54:31 GMT

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:42:49 +0200, "Eli Golovinsky" <gtrash_at_mailandnews.com> wrote:

>The program creates very large hierarchical recordsets (using shape
>provider), with new data in them. Which means a lot of insert statements.
>I tried all kinds of things - UpdateBatch and regular Update, different
>cursor types, local processing (on the server that runs the database) and a
>remote client.

I don't know much about the inner woorkings of ADO, but to me it would not be first choice in dealing with large volumes of data. There is a lot of overhead in ADO and the multiple hoops and calls that are needed to make it work.

[Quoted] I'd rather use something more direct. You should be able to pass arrays to PL/SQL and have the procedure do an insert loop or even an array insert via dynamic sql. That will definitely be fatser than multiple calls to the overhead of ADO.

BTW, I've reduced the X-posting.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam