Personal Oracle 8.1.6 and Forms 6i on Win98

From: Steve <noadd_at_somewhere.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:16:33 +0000

I have successfully installed Personal Oracle 8.1.6 on a Windows 98 machine and created a database using the DB Assistant with a SID of DEV01. When I connect using SQL*PLUS using system/manger (note SID not specified) I connect OK. However when I connect using system/manager_at_dev01 I get ORA-12541: TNS:no listener.

Q. How is the connection possible without specifying the SID and not having the listener running?

I then installed Forms 6i successfully. When I start Forms Builder and connect to the 8.1.6 database using system/manager (again no SID) I get ORA-1034: Oracle not available. When I connect using system/manager_at_dev01 I get the message ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination.

Q. Why can I not connect in either case here. I hoped it would have behaved as connecting through SQL*Plus.

Finally, I can connect when I start the listener but I'm sure I've never had to do this with a Personal Oracle database before. Where is the best place to start the listener automatically, it doesn't work if I start it in the autoexec.bat file and I'm not sure where to place it in the registry.

Cheers Received on Tue Nov 07 2000 - 22:16:33 CET

Original text of this message