Re: Creating alerts at run time

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:48:20 +0800

djsnyder_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Our current forms use the MESSAGE built-in to display
> error messages. When people are doing data entry and a message
> comes up, they might hit the enter key as part of their
> processing and never see the message. What we want is
> an alert-type screen that has more than one button so that
> we can place the focus on something other than OK in order
> to make it more difficult for them to miss the error message.
> Something like this:
>
> while key pressed != 'OK'
> loop
> display message
> end loop
>
> With this scheme they would have to change the focus from the
> non-OK button, ensuring that they have seen the message.
>
> An alert would work just fine for this. In order to make
> the integration of this new message processing easier we had hoped
> to put the creation of the alert and the loop in a .PLL file so
> the only change to the application would be to change MESSAGE to
> NEW_MESSAGE in the application's code.
>
> I can't find any documentation on creating alerts at run time.
> Is there a way to do that, or some other ideas on how to handle
> this situation?
>
> The applications run in a noisy environment, so having the
> application make a different sound might not work.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You can't - but can you tailor the message on an existing alert, thus letting your "re-use" one for different purposes...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Early to bed and early to rise,
 makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." - some dead guy