ODBC Driver is flakey

From: <magus_rex_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 15:23:35 GMT

I am trying to modify an existing (ASP) weblication from using MSSQLServer to Oracle.

I have run into several problems.

  1. The NUMBER datatype comes through fine in JavaScript, but needs to be specifically cast to number in VBScript using cInt(rs("fldName"))
  2. I cannot modify a value like this...
    var t=rs("Index"); rs("Index")+=1; rs.Update();
    this will upset the Oracle driver a great deal.
  3. the ODBC drivers plus the Oracle client end up being quite weighty for an install. It looks like Oracle is stealing programmers from the Code-Bloat division at Microsoft.

Will Oracle ever write a thin ODBC driver, a single DLL would be nice, but somewhere under 10M would be acceptable.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 03 2000 - 16:23:35 CET

Original text of this message