Re: Oracle 8.1.6 SQL*Plus

From: Buck Eskew <BEskew_at_gte.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 14:16:00 GMT

Thanks for the response!!!

I've tried all of the suggestions below and everything seems to appear normal, but here is what is weird. When I invoke the editor, it appears to save whatever is in the buffer to afiedt.buf, then gives control to Notepad. I'll update my query, it'll ask me to save....then when control is returned to notepad, my updated query doesn't 're-post' to the SQL*Plus prompt/window. At this point, I can manually open the 'updated' afiedt.buf file in Notepad and see my changes, but if I invoke the editor again in SQL*Plus, it'll overwrite my updated query in afiedt.buf with the original query that is in the buffer.

The problem seems to be that when I invoke the editor, SQL*Plus seems to be writing whatever is in the buffer to afiedt.buf before opening Notepad. Then when I close Notepad, there is no 'hand-off' back to the SQL*Plus buffer with the updated query in afiedt.buf. I'm not sure if there is a environment/registry setting somewhere to fix this, or if I might just be better off re-installing the Oracle client. This problem just started occuring this week and I'm not aware of any setting that I might have altered. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks again,
Buck Eskew

Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com> wrote in message news:t04isbpn2nn362_at_corp.supernews.com...
> "Buck Eskew" <BEskew_at_gte.net> wrote in message
> >I am invoking the editor with just the 'EDIT' command (not specifying a
> particular file).
>
> I use "ed" rather than "edit". Not sure if it makes a difference but give
 it a
> try anyway.
>
> >I searched to see if I had another 'afiedt.buf' file on my harddrive, but
> didn't find one.
>
> Even if there was, it's usually the one in the same working directory that
 your
> SQL*Plus shortcut points to.
>
> >Also, I couldn't see anything in the glogin.sql file or the Registry. It
> appears as though the 'buffer' is not reading the actual afiedt.buf file.
>
> Do a "show all" and I think it has the buffer filename listed in there.
 See if