Oracle Intelligent Agent through a firewall

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_uk.origin-it.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:25:21 +0100

I'm trying to set up OEM 2.1 for use on a number of customer databases. The thing which is giving me the most trouble is arranging for the network to allow me to do what I need - mainly because I don't know how to ask for what I want in a way that the network guys can understand...

I'm pretty certain that I need the following things:

  1. TCP/IP access FROM my PC TO the customer box, on port 1521 (SQL*Net)
  2. TCP/IP access FROM the OEM Management Server TO the customer box, on port 1521 (SQL*Net)
  3. TCP/IP access BACK from the customer box TO the OEM Management Server, on port ???? (Agent)

The network people talk about things like NATs. I don't know what (if any) issues this might raise.

Can anyone either offer me any help, or point me at some form of document which discusses this sort of thing? I'm also interested in what degradation of functionality I would get if I could not have one or all of the given access. [Item 1 is often contentious, as my PC is not on a fixed IP address].

By the way - I know that there probably aren't any real security holes involved here - the issues are often political rather than technical :-(

Thanks for any help,
Paul Moore Received on Thu Nov 02 2000 - 17:25:21 CET

Original text of this message