Web based application and Oracle user(s)

From: Dave Godbey <luhbey_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:08:58 -0500

What are the options and the advantages for presenting Oracle housed data in web based applications?

We are using Java servlets/JSP and ColdFusion in some of our applications to select criteria, query an Oracle 8i database, and prepare html pages for delivery of the information.

Specifically, we are currently having discussions on how best to handle security and access to the database. Two current topics of discussion:

  1. Create an Oracle user for each registered user (we have a manageable number of users) and capture the user id and password during login and authentication.
  2. Create a single Oracle user that ColdFusion or JSP uses to access the database, and use the web/application server to authenticate the user. Knowing the identity of the authenticated user, limit programmatically what data each user can get back.

Are there others? Are there any good papers or web sites that discuss these issues?
Thanks,
Dave Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 03:08:58 CET

Original text of this message