Re: natural language queries

From: Scot A. Becker <scotb_at_inconcept.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:21:41 GMT

> Does anyone know of a tool for generating PL/SQL queries from natural
> language? I'm looking for something along the lines of Microsoft's English
> Query product.

There is a conceptual query language (ConQuer) which uses an ORM model to transform English queries into, for example, SQL statements. The applicable prototype software (ActiveQuery) takes the ORM model, the physical implementation of the ORM model (i.e. the database), and ODBC to do this. This tool was released with Visio Enterprise 5.0.

Now that M$ owns all of this, maybe they will do something further with it.

Conceptual queries are cool because the query often remains the same even if the cardinality of the database elements being queried changes (e.g. a query based on the fact "Person drives Car" works for both 'a person can drive one car' and 'a person can drive many cars').

More info on ConQuer can be found at: http://www.orm.net/queries.html

HTH,
Scot.

Scot A. Becker

Partner, InConcept, Inc.

     http://www.inconcept.com

Editor, The Journal of Conceptual Modeling

     http://www.inconcept.com/JCM Received on Tue Oct 31 2000 - 22:21:41 CET

Original text of this message