Re: NLS - double and single byte together in Oracle

From: Heiko Onnebrink <Heiko.Onnebrink_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:31:54 +0100

Hi Balajee Shrikanth

The idea of unicode is to hold all charactersets in just one superset. The UTF8 is exactly like this and capable to hold "single and double byte" information
in one database. There exist two Unicode versions, one older with fixed 3byte length
and the UTF8 with variable length.
UTF8 can hold all versions of characters, one, two and evem three byte characters.
Keep in mind that using a variable length chracterset needs a length indicator. It will
happen that evene characters which originally need just one byte are stored now in two bytes.

As I know Oracle internally is already working with Unicode, same like SQL-Net.

On client side the character set is converted to the desired output representation depending
from NLS settings.

At the moment you will run just into one bigger problem (may be this is the reason for your problem).

Oracle Development tools (e.g. Forms) do not support Unicode. May be in a future release.
The same problem will exist for the OS like NT or Win98.

Up from Windows 2000 on OS level there will be support for Unicode which makes live much easier.

So I think the use of UTF8 in your database is OK, you just can't see the propper output.
If you take different clients configured each with the correct NLS settings, (one with jn single byte, one with jn double-byte) and connect both against the same UTF8 based server it should work, but client a will not display data entered from client b, "et vice versae".

If you need more info just send a mail, I have more info on this ....

bye

Heiko