Re: listener woes

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:06:18 GMT

In article <8tc8a1$pii$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   tandym_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> In article <8tad0b$afg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> oratune_at_aol.com wrote:
> > In article <39F86069.53B9D29F_at_home.nl>,
> > frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote:
> > > Any of the instances using MTS?

 startup
 on a

> > I don't believe MTS to be the problem. The difficulty is using init
> > start ORACLE when the rc process, at system boot and system
 shutdown,
> > should be used.
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> not to nitpick or anything, but the oracle 8i (for AIX) installation
> guide (pg 4-5) instructs you to use the inittab to start oracle and
 the
> listener.
> If using your method is the proper way to do it, why would oracle
> instruct you to do otherwise?
>

> sonya
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

After 13 years of administering Oracle on various and sundry UNIX and NT systems I have found that the most reliable method of starting/stopping the Oracle services on UNIX (the System V variants, of which AIX is one) is to use the rc mechanism at boot and shutdown. I have set this up on HP/UX, AIX, Sun, Prime, DG/UX, Ultrix (DEC's early version of UNIX) and OSF/4 and have had no problems starting the instances or the listener.

Since init is the first real process to "come alive" on a UNIX system (the process id, PID, is 1) a number of related processes that may be necessary for the database and listener to successfully start most likely are not running, such as tcp and other network services. Using the rc scripts to start the necessary Oracle services allows for a method of control not found in init -- the Oracle startup scripts can be placed where one wants them (or where one needs them), after other services have been started. This is why the assigned number on the Oracle startup process is 99; it places it at the end of the line for the run level, ensuring that all relevant processes are started prior to starting the instances and listener.

Oracle may state that the processes should be started from init via /etc/inittab. The documentation has been wrong before; I believe it is incorrect here.