Re: Help with TNSNames problem with multiple homes?

From: Roger Crowley <villagefox_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:29:53 GMT

[Quoted] Without going into any detail (I'm not sure if you've already tried these steps), you need to check your listener.ora file to make sure you have a "sid_desc" entry under "sid_list_listener" for each of your databases (I assume you have a different SID for each database or you'll need two listeners, monitoring two different ports). Then make sure your tnsnames.ora has an entry for each database (you'll connect to whatever you choose as the entry's alias), remembering that the "sid=" argument has changed to "service_name=" in 8.1.6 (8i). You need to set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to where your listener and tnsnames files are. If you want to connect from the same machine (not something I do myself), I believe you need a "local" entry in your tnsnames that has the "bequeath" protocol (different set of parameters than the other entries), where "bequeath" means "connect to myself in loopback".

Also, in 8.1.6 (at least the client I have), Enterprise Manager modules have been replaced by DBA Studio (where Instance Mgr, Schema Mgr, etc are all combined into a single app).

In article <39ee147a.11930795_at_news.mcit.com>,   holdenje_at_nospam.msu.edu (Holden) wrote:
> I noticed that it didnt install the schema manager and others (I
> assume version 2.1?) you have to do a custom install and select them,
> I believe.
>
> On 17 Oct 2000 09:33:06 -0500, don <chambers_at_inquiregroup.com> wrote:
>
> >I have just built my new desktop and canot get connectivity to
 Oracle.

--
[Quoted] Have a good day!
Roger Crowley DBA