Re: SQL Loading Dates

From: <dennishancy_at_eaton.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:52:52 GMT

It took me a while, but I found the problem.

This date field that was erroring out came right after two numeric fields. In the ctl file, I gave them the datatype of INTEGER (a logical thing to do, or so I thought).

In reading the book, I have since learned that I should have been using INTEGER EXTERNAL instead.

The book says, "This format is used for integers that are in normal character format in the file, rather than packed into a binary format (usually one digit per four bits, rather than the eight bits that characters use). These are numbers you would be able to read if you looked at them in a file."

So, I tried this. And it worked!

Thanks to those who responded.

Dennis

In article <8sf7rd$j2j$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   dennishancy_at_eaton.com wrote:
> I have a table which includes two date fields. I need to load some
 data
> into this table from a CSV file.
>
> The dates are in the format DD-MON-YY.
>
> In my CTL file, I specify each of the fields, identifying the date
> fields with a datatype of DATE.
>
> When I run the CTL file through SQL Loader, it results in error on
 each
> record where the second date field is not null. It gives no
 indication
> of errors on the first date field.
>
> The error I receive is as follows:
>
> ORA-01847: day of month must be between 1 and last day of month.
>
> Again, this is only showing an error for the second date field; it
 likes
> the first one.
>
> The dates in those records are valid. I can't see any other stray
> characters.
>
> Any clue as to what the problem might be? Thanks.
>
> Dennis Hancy
> Eaton Corporation
> Cleveland, OH
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 20 2000 - 16:52:52 CEST

Original text of this message