Designer and synonyms to remote database tables

From: Mike Dwyer <dwyermj_at_co,larimer.co.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:24:55 -0600

[Quoted] Not being a trained user of Designer (6i), I may be missing something conceptually, but here's the problem:

I have developed a server model that successfully generates tables, indexes, [Quoted] etc. into the database. It also generates public synonyms on the tables.

We also have pl/sql procedures that load the tables, typically with INSERT INTO...SELECT FROM statements. The procs were developed in a test instance that contained both source and target tables. (The source tables are copies [Quoted] of tables in the production instance.)

Now we have moved the target tables into their own instance and need to modify the loads to extract from the source tables in the production database. My plan is to use a database link in the target instance and create synonyms for the source tables, using the db link.

This works fine in the server, but is it possible to define those "remote" synonyms in Designer? The source tables are a "legacy" database that have not been captured into a designer repository.

(Source DB 7.3.4; Target DB 8.1.6; both running on the same Solaris 2.6 server. Designer 6i, of course, on NT 4.0.)

Answers to the ng or dontspamdwyermj_at_co.larimer.co.us will be appreciated. Thanks! Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 22:24:55 CEST

Original text of this message