Re: Help! TNS: protocol adapter error is killing me!

From: <villagefox_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:22:44 GMT

If you just installed it (and nothing else), then all you have is the sample tnsnames.ora file. If you have a "real" tnsnames.ora ... one that specifies the correct host, port and service name (used to be SID in 8.0 and earlier), then the listener is not running on your server or is not monitoring the port you specified in your tnsnames. If both of those are okay (a tnsping to your server works), then the problem lies elsewhere (and not enuf info given to determine). For example, you did not say what O/S you were running on ... but you might need to check the path of the environment variable TNS_ADMIN to make sure it's pointing to the location of your listener.ora (on the server) or to you tnsnames.ora (on the client). Of course, if you're using a Names Server or other such central repository, and you just created a new instance, you need to tell your DBA (maybe that's you) to add it to the repository.

In article <8s7gsh$ujn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   27stars_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask.
> I just installed oracle 8. It gives me TNS:
> protocol adapter error on everything. (ORA-12541:
> TNS:no listener in Net8 assistant)
> That sould I do?
>
> Please help,
>
> Ant
> www.27stars.com
> The Secrets of Professional Business Web Design
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 18:22:44 CEST

Original text of this message