Re: Help - WebDB, Oracle8i

From: nomenclature <nom_at_tonal.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:38:15 +0100

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am running Solaris 8 on an Ultra 30. Recently I installed Oracle 8i
> - I used the "Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition" CD included in the Solaris
> "Bonus Software" pack. Although I am by no means a DBA, Oracle seems to
> be working - one of my users has been busily loading data into a database.
>
> However, now this user would like to use "WebDB". I couldn't find it
> on the Solaris Oracle 8i CD, so I tried to download it from:
> http://technet.oracle.com/software/
>
> My Netscape browser kept running out of memory, though, so I finally
> ftp'ed WebDB version 2.0.5 from ftp.oracle.com.
>
> I am able to start the WebDB "orainst" program, select a "Typical Install",
> and type in a new ORACLE_HOME directory for WebDB, but "orainst" bombs
> when I type in the sys password for my default database. I keep getting
> the following message:
> Invalid passwords entered.
>
> If you have installed Oracle 8i and WebDB on a Solaris system, could you
> please outline the procedure? Where did you get your copy of WebDB?

I'm having similar trouble - I got round your problem by installing Webdb in the same $ORACLE_HOME as the database - installer doesn't use tnsnames but connects directly (sql*loader). Next up is my current trouble - I can't get WebdB to find my tnsnames.ora to login to the instance. All the objects got installed ok - I can get the gateway and listener config pages - but that's all. Article on Metalink says it's tnsnames.ora.

Where should it be? Or how do I tell Webdb where to look? I got webdb 2.0.5.6.1 with 8.0.5 for Tru64 (Digital) Unix (ver 4.0D). I fixed this on NT4 with registry variable TNS_ADMIN.

HAH!! Just set same variable in root environment that runs wdblsnr AND IT WORKS NOW!

I hope this helps - I'm off to write some reports... Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 09:38:15 CEST

Original text of this message