Re: FMX version control

From: PS <Peter.Seely_at_gov.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 18:44:00 GMT

But is it advisable to store the .FMT file rather than the .FMB? Can you trust a source code system to perform text-merging on an FMT file and still expect Form Builder to be able to put it back together afterwards?

We're using CVS and we're storing the FMB files. Potentially it could take a lot of storage someday, and there are other drawbacks. There has to be a lot of coordination so two people don't commit different versions of the files ... someone will lose their changes.

I had heard about storing the FMT files but I wasn't sure how well this would work. With our C code, if two developers modify the same segment of the same source code file, CVS marks the area with conflict indicators and the second developer has to resolve the conflict in the source code file before it can be committed. I shudder to think if a developer was going in to do this to an FMT, since I've heard Form Builder 6 is pretty sticky about the format of them when converting back to FMB?