Re: Need database/architecture recommendation

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:01:43 GMT

Some of the more common choices are:
1) WebLogic application server, using Java for the application development, connecting to Oracle using JDBC.
2) Oracle iAS (formerly OAS). Your development can be in Java or PL/SQL - PL/SQL is a simpler development environment, with development and maintenance being faster and easier than Java. 3) Micrsoft's application server, using ASP pages, written in VB Script. Also a pretty simple development environment, but runs only on NT. Connect to any database using ODBC.

Shops with high volume apps gravitate to the first choice, but the development costs may be higher. For 1,000 transactions a day any of the choices would probably work, although it isn't just a matter of transaction - how many concurrent users are you planning on?

As far as security, that is addressed at several levels -  The application itself should have an application level login/password (like Oracle's MetaLink, or buying a book on Amazon).  You will want a firewall between your app server and your database, to prevent any traffic from hitting your database that does not go through your application server.
 If the data being transmitted is sensitive (i.e. credit card #'s), then you will probably also want to use SSL so that the data being transmitted is encrypted. If you're sending price lists and qty on hand, then SSL is an unnecessary burden.
Firewall software is being patched constantly to protect against new threats (similar to virus software), so it is important to keep everything up to date. Security changes so rapidly, that I would suggest you review that with a consulting company that specializes in network security.

John Alexander
www.SummitSoftwareDesign.com