Re: Which version do I get?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:31:54 +0200

Comments embedded.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Matthew Burgess" <matthewburgess_at_matthewburgess.worldonline.co.uk> wrote in message news:39d4fc67_at_news.server.worldonline.co.uk...
> I've just started a module at uni. which involves learning Oracle. To
 start
> off with we're doing SQL *Plus (I think it's version 3.3?). We then move
> onto Forms 4.5. Our Sun Workstations are apparently running Oracle 7
 (which
> I imagine includes the above two apps.).

Forms 4.5 is a part of Developer which is in fact a separate product

> I went to the Oracle website and could only see 8i for download. I would
> like to have a copy of the Oracle software on my PC at home, so I don't
 have
> to rely on the uni. network. Could someone please advise as to whether I
> would have any compatibility issues if I were to use 8i at home and 7

Oracle 8i is downwards compatible. As long as you don't use 8i features (which you also won't learn) you should be OK.

> uni, and where, if so, could I get a copy of Oracle 7 to run on a Win98
> machine?

Oracle 7 will be desupported at the end of this year. This is why they deleted it from the website. You probably could get it when you have a support contract. Something for the uni to arrange for?