Re: Need database/architecture recommendation

From: Cliff Palmer <cliff_at_palmercs.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:47:03 GMT

[Quoted] Maggie, this a hard question to answer without considering transaction volume, number of inventory items, and other factors unique to your situation. You should also consider commercially available "storefront" services and software.

If your inventory item count is beyond trivial (more than 100 items) or your customer base is greater than 200-300 then you should consider using a seperate database server and not running the database on the web server machine. These are guestimates since I dont know your circumstances very well.

You may also want to consider alternatives to scripting as scripts may not be the most responsive way to handle high volumes of transactions, although many scripting solutions can be made to deliver good response. This decision also required a better understanding of your situation.

Security, maintining customer profiles, and system administration all require that you give some thought to how the database is accessed and there are alternatives you should consider. There is no "best", there are mearly alternatives which fit different needs.

Hope this provides enough confus...um, a starting point for your thinking.. Cliff