Re: Mirroring Informix into Oracle

From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton_at_fi.muni.cz>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:40:47 GMT

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:44:26 +0200, Manfred Tischendorf <tischendorf_at_arkusa.de> wrote:

> What is the cheapest way (not using expensive tools) to mirror data from an
> informix database in an oracle database (both running on unix platforms).
> Because we can not involve a third computer we have no chance to use ODBC
> on a Windows-PC.
> What other possibilitiees are there. Could perl be a solution?

Definitely. Perl with DBI and DBD::Informix and DBD::Oracle do a great job for us, both for nightly mirrors and for "each five minutes difference" transfers.

Of course, for true transaction between those two databases you'd need more expensive products, but for mirroring Perl is the way to go.

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton_at_fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
   .project: Perl, DBI, Oracle, MySQL, auth. WWW servers, MTB, Spain.
Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe http://petition.eurolinux.org