HELP! Transferring data between instances of Oracle

From: joe martins <joemartnNOSPAM_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 05:07:35 GMT

[Quoted] Hello everyone!

[Quoted] I'm hoping you might have some ideas on how I might approach a problem that I'm currently trying to resolve.

[Quoted] Here's the deal:

[Quoted] I have one instance of Oracle running on a production server inside our new [Quoted] firewall. This database contains metadata that is accessed by JSPs running [Quoted] on an app server. The JSPs are used to serve up pages to users on our intranet.

[Quoted] Recently a second app server, a web server and a second instance of Oracle [Quoted] were implemented outside of the firewall with plans to host a new web site. [Quoted] The public web site would be delivered via JSP/servlets running on the [Quoted] external instance of the app server.

I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer data from the internal [Quoted] instance of Oracle to the instance up on the web. The catch is that I want [Quoted] to use my existing Inktomi deployment capability for all of my content [Quoted] (audio, video and graphics files as well as the db metadata) The Inktomi [Quoted] product provides bulk file transfers between one or more points (but not DB [Quoted] data transfers).

I was thinking I should use export to dump metadata into a data file. Then [Quoted] use Inktomi to transfer the file to the external server, then invoke a web [Quoted] server side process to import the metadata into the external instance of the [Quoted] [Quoted] db. I should mention that the schema of the external instance of the DB is [Quoted] identical to the schema of the internal instance.

Assume the following:

  1. there will be no direct connectivity or accessibility between the two db [Quoted] [Quoted] instances (for things such as a dblink or replication)
  2. I may want to update some or all of the metadata residing in the tables [Quoted] of the external instance of Oracle as well as insert new metadata.
  3. updates will be published from the internal servers to the external servers quite frequently using Inktomi's deployment tools....on either an preset interval or on demand.
  4. the amount of content residing on the external server would be in the [Quoted] neighborhood of several hundred thousand records and files.
  5. the average amount of content published to the external server and db would in the neighborhood of 10-20,000+ records and files.
  6. Speed of an update, though important, is not my topmost priority. Rock-solid reliability and ease of implementation is.

I need a solution that will enable me to:

  1. roll the web db back to a previous state (for instance, roll back to before the last update, before the last three updates, etc...)
  2. scale to multiple external web servers and external instances of Oracle [Quoted] where Inktomi could still be used to deploy the db metadata and files to each server from the centralized internal production server.

I thought about wiping the web db tables clean between updates and populating them with fresh data from the internal db each time. Basically [Quoted] like synching the tables. Certainly something to consider but I am hoping [Quoted] that you might have a better approach that I could try. I appreciate any help that you may provide. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. If [Quoted] [Quoted] you would need further detail to formulate a response let me know and I will [Quoted] try my best to provide the missing information.

[Quoted] I look forward to your responses.

Joe Received on Sat Sep 02 2000 - 07:07:35 CEST

Original text of this message