OK to re-FOPEN file without FCLOSE'ing in UTL_FILE?

From: GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:46:50 -0700

OK to re-FOPEN file without FCLOSE'ing in UTL_FILE?

I discovered a place in a colleague's PL/SQL code where an Input file was FOPEN'ed after it was assumed to be FCLOSE'd; however, the FCLOSE was being inadvertently skipped. The FOPEN still worked without error, and the file was positioned to the first record.

Is this the expected behavior for FOPEN (if file is open, PL/SQL closes it first)? Or, just a [un]lucky break? It has been my experience that most programming languages consider an 'open' on an already-open file to be an error, but that does not appear to be the case here.

Thanks,

Geoff Houck
systems hk
hksys_at_teleport.com