Re: sql query

From: Sandy <daleelaNOdaSPAM_at_usa.net.invalid>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 05:59:29 -0700

> As you have no join condition between toto and baba,
> you'll get a
> cartesian product automatically. Suppose n records
> will satisfy the
> criterion on toto and m records on baba (you
> definitely use that
> table, contrary to what you think!), you'll get n
> times m records
> back.
> This means your query is incorrect and you either need
> to remove baba
> or provide a proper join condition between toto and
> baba.
> Sorry to say so, but your question is *very*
> elementarily. You may
> profit from buying the sql guide to Oracle by Rick
> van der Lans
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201565455
> This teaches everything from ground up, it has been
> around for 14
> years, you can't go wrong with this one.
> Regards,
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

I wouldnt do a query like that, I know it isn't good. I just had to do a strange change in a program with a webdb package so that's why i made something kinda strange... It was to save time. I thought if I don't put the join conditions it wouldn't care about baba (while i needed it to be there for another query and i put the join conditions) select * from lala,baba where lala.toto='2';

thanks anyway

Sandy

  • Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful