tnsnames.ora, OCI and ORA-12514

From: <vpdev_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:44:03 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] My apologies if this has been covered before - I searched the archives [Quoted] and couldn't find anything.

I have been writing a daemon program that uses the Oracle 8.1.5 OCI functions to process some queries against a database on a different machine, connected via TCP/IP.

From the command line, I can connect to that database with no problem [Quoted] using sql*plus, and a tnsping works as well. If I start up the program from the command line in the directory with the tnsnames.ora file, it [Quoted] will work great.

When I start it up as a daemon, however, or in any directory that is not where the tnsnames.ora file is, I get the dreaded ORA-12514 error message.

[Quoted] I have checked all the appropriate environment variables, but for security reasons this daemon must wipe it's environment and start clean. I thought this might be the problem, so I specifically imported TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME (among other variables) on program init, but [Quoted] still no joy.

Has anyone run into this before? What am I missing here? I know I'll probably kick myself once I finally do find the answer, but any help at [Quoted] all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Vastine-Parker

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 09:44:03 CEST

Original text of this message