Oracle connectivity/Oracle security

From: <mmorga2_at_amfam.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:35:27 GMT

As a DBA, I am curious how web developers connect to Oracle databases. We do not use Oracle Application Server (or any Oracle Web product). Rather, our developers use Delphi, VB, and God knows whatever the latest whizbang tool is for applications. We have IIS and Websphere for web servers.

For security reasons, we (the DBAs) don't want to advocate the use of hardcoded connect strings in the applications. The developers (and users) don't want to be prompted for a login when they access the database. We are also getting to the point where we can't have an Oracle ID for every user (the internet/the world) who needs to connect.

I'm just curious what other shops do in these situations. I'm sure we are not the only ones who are wringing our hands over this.

Thanks for your input!
Mike Morgan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Aug 28 2000 - 17:35:27 CEST

Original text of this message