Re: Where do you get Oracle ?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:17:13 GMT

Dave,

[Quoted] I consider myself a sane DBA and I let developers learn SQL & PL/SQL from scratch on some of my systems all the time. I would never consider this with a production database. But we have many development (or test) databases setup for a variety of uses. One of those uses is for learning as well! Just set them up a dummy schema (or use SCOTT/TIGER) and let them have at it. Who cares if they drop every table accidentally? And what's the worse that they can do? They are only limited to their own test schema. If one is really paranoid, then one can set up a seperate instance on a simple NT box just for this testing/learning purpose. Even if the developer causes something drastic to crash the database, no harm, no foul.

After they've learned the ropes, we then let them start to spread their wings on other testing platforms. If I never let a developer learn SQL and PL/SQL then I'd be the only one in my shop who knows it and I'd have to do all the coding on my own.

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

d_a_francis_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Whoa ! Hang on - if he goes off and learns PL - do I spot a DANGEROUS
> situation here ??????
>
> Don`t know about you, but as a DBA, the one thing which fills me with utter
> DREAD is underqualified developers getting their hands on my database. In
> fact, I`d say that I`d personally kill and eat family members before letting
> anyone near any of my DB`s (Sorry - MY Db`s - I`m a DBA, after all ;-))) )
> who`s "read a book on PL/SQL"
>
> And you don`t start with PL/SQL - you start with SQL ! Sorry.........
>
> The answer to the original question is to get your company to send you on a
> SPECIFIC Oracle developers` course, which includes (in this order) SQL,
> PL/SQL and PL for Oracle Development. No sane DBA would let you near a live
> or test database otherwise........
>
> Dave
>
> Alun Coppack wrote in message <8o38cc$edj$1_at_bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>...
> >I downloaded Wedbd and JDeveloper from technet , through a firewall, in
> >Australia at over 25k/s per connection. Downloading Jdeveloper in multiple
> >parts I was able to have all of them going at 25k/s.
> >
> >Alun
> >Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> >> works for me
> >>
> >> I agree though that dl speeds are *very* inconsistent - though they seem
> >> have improved in the last 3-6 weeks.
> >> --
> >> Niall Litchfield
> >> Oracle DBA
> >> Audit Commission UK
> >> "Michael Harrison" <harrisonm7_at_home.com> wrote in message

 downloading
 from
[Quoted] > >> > >> Oracle. My d/l log shows a measly 0.4k/s transfer speed (over
 Cable),
 the
[Quoted] > >> > >> transfer rate has been abysmal for a couple of weeks both from the
 U.K.
 ,
[Quoted] > >> > >> U.S and in Australia. If you still want to try and d/l it, get
 yourself a

[Quoted] > >> > >Strange, it took me around an hour and a half to download Lite AND
 the

Brian Peasland
[Quoted] Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center