Re: Oracle Lite 8i TNS Names how to setup ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:41:03 +0200

Hi Stefan,

I only saw Oracle Lite briefly, I immediately dumped, as it is too limited compared to the 'normal' database.
AFAIK Oracle lite contains a stripped version of sqlnet. It *might* be impossible to connect to other databases at all. But yes, you can't create a database in Oracle Lite, and you can only connect to the Oracle lite database by using the ODBC string. You would guess that setting up the LOCAL string value in hkey\local_machime\software\oracle works as asual, removing the need to type a connect string.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Stefan Kursawe" <skursawe_nospam_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:WbGp5.27$r5.1432_at_newsread03.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> I read the "Getting Started Document", but didn't find the odbc: connect
> string.
>
> What do I need the TNSNAMES.ORA then, if I only run Oracle 8iLite ?
> It only has to be configured, if I want to connect to a database other
 than
> Lite ?
>
> How can I set the "odbc:polite" as a default, so I don't need to type it
> everytime ?
>
> regards
> Stefan
>
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote
> > It is.
> > Faced this issue before.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> > "Stefan Kursawe" <skursawe_nospam_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Selim,
> > >
> > > the odbc connect did work, is this the only way to connect to Oracle
 Lite
 ?

> > > Stefan

 need

> [...]
 <D_Em5.8550$Cc2.318503_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

 my

 local
 DB ?