Question about Reports/Groups/TEXT_IO

From: Mark <marfi95_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:58:02 GMT

I need to produce a report based on a file of account numbers, rather than a query against the database. I have gotten the file read using the Text_IO package, but am having problems getting the record to be used in the repeating frame, so I can read the database to get the information. The problem is that a repeating frame appears to have to be driven by a group. I have found no way to create a group other than an SQL query.

I have tried setting up a GLOBAL var so that the account number can be read, then assigning the bind var from the SQL query to the data from the record in the file. However, Oracle does not allow me to assign the bind variable in the FormatTrigger of the repeating frame.

I have tried applying a group filter, but I really don't want to set up a group that selects all records from the database and filter out the ones that are not in the file. We're talking hundreds of thousands on the database and maybe several thousand in the input file.

I guess I could always resort to dynamically creating a temp table on the fly in code in the BeforeReport trigger, inserting the records, then dropping the table in the AfterReport trigger. I'd rather not have to do that if possible....

What I really need is either a dynamic group or a way to tie the repeating frame to a group associated with the file record.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.... Mark Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 02:58:02 CEST

Original text of this message