Re: List_Values LOV Results Differ; need default menu "Edit, Display List" action; i.e. without "SELECT_ALL" behaviour

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:46:24 -0700

"Mike Rainville" <mrainv_at_po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote in message news:39A57C14.86A3A69E_at_po-box.mcgill.ca...
> It would be nice to have the opposite of the SELECT_ALL builtin;

Amen! I'd love to have that.

This auto-selecting has caused us a lot of heachaches in one screen we had where we really needed to have the data un-selected. I with Forms had a property for that. (As much as I despise Powerbuilder, it has an auto-selection property that you can turn on or off.)

Our solution (undesirable) was to create a procedure that created a timer, copied the text (copy_region, if I remember right), did a clear_item, and when the timer expired (only a few milliseconds), it would paste (paste_region, I think) the text. This would leave the text in an unselected state. Very unorthodox and strange, but it worked. However I recommend doing it with caution because it's using a timer for a use that it's probably not intended for.

We would call this procedure on WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE of the field that we didn't want selected. Problem is that since it was a database field and the value was manipulated and since the column was a database column, it was a problem because the record status would change even if the user just navigated to the field and didn't consciously change something. That led to making it a non-DB field and carefully managing transferring the value into the real (now non-displayed) database field behind the scenes. Very messy.

-Matt Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 03:46:24 CEST

Original text of this message