Re: Is Enterprise Manager widely used by DBA pro's???

From: <unixweenie_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:23:03 GMT

[Quoted] In article <8nh7ti$a7b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   kwiateks_at_juno.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is the Oracle Enterprise Manager widely used by professional DBA's in
> the real world??? If not, do they just use the command line, or what
> other tool?
>
> What do DBA pro's think about EM?

It's handy for poking around now that the GUI tools are available on Unix platforms, but I do most of the work in plain old sqlplus. You just can't go pick through tens of thousands of objects looking for problems with a GUI. Much more efficient to write a PL/SQL script to do it.

On the down side, it allows someone without the proper training and experience to act as a DBA. I've seen many big messes as a result, especially on NT platforms.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Aug 24 2000 - 19:23:03 CEST

Original text of this message