Re: Oracle Designer

From: Frank <fbortel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:19:07 +0200

What version are u talking about, and what is slow?

Cliff Palmer wrote:

> Lesley, we have used Oracle Designer for about 4 years now and would recommend
> it with some caveats:
> 1 - when you re-generate physical models from logical models (i.e. after you add
> a relationship or entity), remove *all* the objects from the existing model [Quoted]
> beforehand - designer can do some strange things if there are things already in
> the physical model.

but all documented! designer will simply *not* remove things. and when you are still changing logical models when you started the technical design, you've not completed the analysis... add in technical design, and reverse engineer (T2E) to logical.
[Quoted] > 2 - dont try to run it in less than 128 MB of memory under NT, particularly if
> you have things like email notifys.

 as server, workstation or both?
[Quoted] > 3 - it will be slow, you cant make it faster (and will break things if you try),
> so have some light reading handy.

 define slow, and hire a dba
> 4 - create the repository database as a stand-alone instance of Oracle and add
> about 15% to the space requirements listed in the installation guide. Expect
[Quoted] > the scripts the create the repository to fail and require Oracle's assistance.
i have posted scripts for about every version of designer, and i manage to do a complete install (rdbms s/w, create instance, des2 s/w, create repository)
in about 2 hours. those scripts have proven themselves dozens of times.
[Quoted] > 5 - dont ever run the scripts that designer generates directly without checking
> them carefully. They will be wrong.

 report to support and install the fixes
> 6 - designer, like other design tools, is not really needed for smaller
> applications. If you have less than 50 tables and related indices, just say
> "no".

disagree. designer is build around a repository - leaving out all these "small" applications (built any web apps, lately?) and you'll lose control in the end.

just my 2c (or less),
rgrds Frank (and yes - I used to work for designer support)