interface?

From: Petr Swedock <petr_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:42:26 -0400

Hi,

I'm setting up an 8i database. I've got some experience using an Informix DB with iSQL at another job, but this is my first experience with Oracle. It seems fairly straightforward (or as straightforward as a relation DB can get... =-) My problem is this: I don't know how to present the data to my enduser. I don't want them editing raw SQL, but neither do I want to spend all my time generating reports for them or managing a web interface. I'd like for the end user to be able to make changes/updates to their portion of the DB and I'd like a simple interface: simple for them to use and simple for me to administer.

The Informix DB I mentioned used an 80x24 ASCII interface that allowed one to view individual records or tab through entire tables. We even used it for a ticketing system. I liked the simplicity and the functionality of this interface. And I liked that the network engineers and the administrative assistants could use it (it was easy to teach to the admins, but the engineers didn't find it simplistic, or inadequate).

Is there something comparable in Oracle? I've been looking but I haven't been able to find anything like it, but, like I say, I'm new so I don't even know what it would be called.

If no such interface exists, I'm taking suggestions for something that fits the above criteria from Oracle.

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Peace,

Petr Swedock

/* Systems and Networks (fun & games) w/MoreMagic! * petr_at_ai.mit.edu www.ai.mit.edu/people/ */ www.ai.mit.edu/lab/sysadmin sysadmin_at_ai.mit.edu Received on Tue Aug 22 2000 - 04:42:26 CEST

Original text of this message