Creating a table based on a Class or Object - Need modeling tool

From: Don Chambers <dchamber_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:18:20 -0400

[Quoted] We have a new Oracle database designer who has told me about a new way to create the database.

He says we can create an Oracle class (object) and then base a table on this object. This would allow use to pass a class to a stored procedure and then easily insert it (with `Insert into table as class`).

I have never used such a design and we don't seem to be able to find a modeling tool to design this. I currently use ERWin and it will not support this feature. We have also tried Designer 2000 (v.6) which supports basing a table on a class but does not allow table relationships to be designed (if basing the table on a class).

Does anyone know of a design tool that will alow use to model this design?

Have you ever used such a design? What are its benefits/drawbacks?

My only reason for wanting this design at this time is so that I do not need to pass so many paramaters (about 15) to a stored procedure. How do you handle creating stored procedures for inserting into a single table that has 15 columns? Thats a lot of parameters to pass.

I tend to think I should not use the class/table design because I am not that familiar with it and I cannot find a tool to model it.

Thanks,

   Don
   chambers_at_inquiregroup.com Received on Sat Aug 19 2000 - 03:18:20 CEST

Original text of this message