Re: What's different between Designer 6 and 6i

From: Brian Duff <Brian.Duff_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:34:09 +0100

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I suspect that you will not be able to install 6i and 6 at the same time; as you say, 6i needs to be installed into the default home in the same way as 6 did. I believe this issue is being looked into at the moment, as it's quite painful to install Designer 6i if you happen to have 8i client side installed in your default home (it's possible to do, but involves messing around with registry settings).

Brian

"Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message news:glzl5.938$x16.61404_at_monger.newsread.com...
> Hi Brian:
>
> What's the upgrade like? Can you put D6i in its own separate home and
> have it coexist on the same machine as D6? Or does D6i need to go into
 the
> "default" home like D6 did?
> Do you switch to Forms6i at the same time or does D6i work with
 Forms6?
> And do you migrate your current repository or does D6i work with the one
> you've got?
> We've got a (reasonably) stable D6 machine working and I can't get
> another machine for now. So I don't want to do anything to mess up D6.
>
> Van
>

> "Brian Duff" <Brian.Duff_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Simong" <simong_at_explor.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi people,
> > >
> > > Please could anybody help me find out what the new features of 6i are
 and
> > > what are the differences between version 6 and 6i.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > SDG
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > The Repository has changed significantly for Designer 6i - in fact, it
 is
> > now considered as a separate product. One of the major changes is
 support
> > for element level versioning (i.e. the Repository supports version
 control
> > for all element types), which is exposed through the Designer tools
 (e.g.
> > you can check in/out entities / relationships in the ER modeler). The
 RON
> > has considerable support for this new feature, including several new
 tools
> > for configuration management, version history viewing, merge and
 comparison
> > tools. The Dependency Manager is a major new tool for determining the
 impact
> > of changing objects in an application by graphically displaying
 dependency
> > data. There is also a new command line tool for writing scripts or
 running
> > commands against the Repository.
> >
> > Repository can also now be used as a general SCM tool (like CVS,
 ClearCase,
> > PVCS etc.). There is already support for this in Developer and
 JDeveloper