Re: Send a Fax for Developer Report 6.0

From: Martin <md_at_nospam.capita.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 00 07:44:37 GMT

In article <39982f34_at_dnewserver.firstcom.cl>, "Mario Pardo Morales" <mpardo_at_solex.cl> wrote:
>Hi All:
>I have a problem. I need send a fax through Developer Report 6.0. I know
>that if I send the document at printer called FAX the problem finish. But,
>I need send the document to different addressees according to number of Fax
>of the database. All this, not visible to user.
>Can somebody help me please?
>
>Thanks....
>
>Gonzalo
>grojas_at_solex.cl

Hi Gonzalo,

I think that the only way in which you can do this is to write a shell program in some other language (C, VB etc) which first calls the Oracle Reports run-time with the necessary parameters to run your report directing its output to a disk file in a format which your fax software can accept (probably either character mode or PDF) and then transmits it by making calls into the API of the fax package. I have done this quite successfully using both Winfax and a more heavy duty package called Goldfax as the backend. The code does not need to be very complex - mail me if you need more ideas.

I think that there is an application note somewhere on Oracle Technet suggesting how this can be done with code in the AfterReport trigger - I tried it a long time ago and it did sort of work with Winfax, but there were limitations (don't remember exactly what) which meant that it really was not suitable for me...

Martin Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 09:44:37 CEST

Original text of this message