Re: Supplying SQL Net to customers

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:15:05 -0400

Anne Taylor wrote:

> We have an application written in Centura Team Developer that works fine
> with our Oracle 7.3 Enterprise server.
> Now we would like to distribute it to clients who also need the SQL*Net
> connectivity installed. I have looked at the Oracle web site but I
> can't see how to obtain SQL*Net on its own. Does anyone know
> if SQL*Net is provided as a stand-alone product?
> What are the licensing issues? Or have any advice as to how to bundle a
> SQL*Net installation with the CTD application installation?
> Any help greatly appreciated.
> Anne Taylor
> Celeris Aerospace Canada Inc.

Just get the Oracle ODBC drivers which are available for a free download from the Oracle site. You'll have to create your own tnsnames.ora file, but you should be able to create one on a work-station that has sqlplus installed and then sneaker-net the file to all of the other workstations.

The other thing you can do is just install the Oracle client-kit on each of the workstations. When you do that you'll get Sqlnet Easy Configuration and can create entries for tnsnames.ora through that.

Licensing is a big deal. You must have a license for each concurrent user. You will have to talk to your Oracle sales rep to figure out exactly how many licenses you will need. Received on Tue Aug 15 2000 - 21:15:05 CEST

Original text of this message