Re: PL/SQL, JAVA, PRO*C Performance which is best ?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/10

[Quoted] In article <8mu10r$baq$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sammy_6_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> We have an old lump of PRO*C which does loan calculations. We are
> moving to oracle 8 and intend to rewrite the code.
> It is important that it is fast. Does any body know of the performance
> differences between the languages. The database access of the code is
> minimal and is not really important.
> I get a feeling that loanding the 'arrays' into pl/sql index tables
> instead of the pro*c arrays we will get comparable performance.
> I presume the nature of Oracle JAVA will mean its not good for this
> application.
> Anybody have any clues ? I dont want to spend 2 Months rewriting the
> code in either PL/SQL or JAVA to find out they are too slow and end up
> reverting to calling the original 'C' program.
>
> Yours Optimistically,
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

The main advantage of pl/sql is it runs in the server. Whether you use Java or Pro*C you will have network traffic you can avoid when you use pl/sql. IMO, my feeling is pl/sql (preferably in Oracle 8i, many new features like bulk binds etc) will be faster compared to Pro*C and Pro*C will be faster than Java (as Java is an interpreted language). If you replace the Pro*C program by an OCI program I'm not too sure, because OCI has a lower level interface than pl/sql. Depending on whether you need to do calcalutions *only* you could develop a pl/sql function which can be used in sql statements.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply