Re: Help : problem with using Rollback segment in Oracle Form

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/08/07

"Marc Billiet" <E.Mail_at_address.com> wrote:
>The 'when others then null;' - clause prevents you from seeing
 error
>messages. Remove it, and hopefully you will get a more
 meaningful message.

>Marc
>
>Pearapon Saerekul wrote in message
 <8mldee$g5u$1_at_news.ksc.co.th>...
>>Dear All,
>> Recently, I havesome problems about assigning "Rollback
 Segment" in
>>Oracle From. I have to write Orcle application usinf Oracle
 Form that have
>>to update data about 900,000 records.
>>I have specified using of Rollback Segemnt in "Pre Form"
 section of Oracle
>>Form as the following:
>>
>>BEGIN
>>DBMS_TRANSACTION.USE_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT('bigvol');
>> exception
>> when others then
>> null ;
>>END;
>>
>> However, when I ran this program to update for about
 45,000 records. I
>>got the error :
>>" ERROR R03 TOO SMALL". According to this error message, it
 seems that my
>>program did not use "bigvol" rollback segment at all. Are
 there any other
>>places that I have to specify the program to use "bigvol"
 rollback
 segement,
>>which I think it is large enough to handle for updating
 900,000 records I
>>use Oracle Form Designer V.4.5.6.5.5 to access Oracle DB
 V.7.3.3 on SUn
>>Solarlis.
>> Please help. I need a solution badly. Thank you very much
 in advance.
>>Regards,
>>
>>--
>>Pearapon Saerekul
>>( pearapon_at_ksc.th.com )

Marc gave good advise. Oracle could be responding that the rollback segment is not on-line and hence can not be assigned and the when others clause would prevent you from knowing this.

It might be better to encapsulate an 'alter rollback segment BIGROLL online;' and a 'set transaction use rollback segment BIGROLL;' in a pl/sql stored procedure using dbms_sql or if 8.1 executive immediate statements with error trapping for already on-line and returning an error on failure to assign. You could also provide a means to take the segment off-line also.

  • Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice. --

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message