Re: Oracle tools vs. third party tools

From: Russ Whiteman <russw_at_inlink.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

[Quoted] Granted, but I -did- say, "As far as I've found..." <g>

Having just gotten involved with TOAD recently, I'm fairly sure I haven't yet found the things that are missing in it. I'm sure there are such oversights, and I'm sure I'll be annoyed with them in a few months. But after using many parts of OEM (-parts- being a key word, as everything is in seperate utilities) for the last year and a half, I find that TOAD is much nicer and easier to use if for no other reason than it puts all the tools in one place.

Sybrand Bakker wrote in message
<965192356.7389.1.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>...
>Question: Does Toad supports jobs?
>Answer No
>Question: Does Toad supports events?
>Answer : NO
>Questiom: Does Toad allow a DBA or operator to be paged or
 emailed when
>something critical happens
>Answer : No
>
>So your statement
>every tool in OEM ... is available in TOAD is simply
 incorrect.

>Regards,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
>"Russ Whiteman" <russw_at_inlink.com> wrote in message
>> As far as I've found, every tool in OEM and quite a bit
 more
>> is available in TOAD...and it's a lot easier to find and
 use
>> them in TOAD. Which is why I just purchased a copy and
 will
>> be uninstalling OEM from my workstation.
>>
>> glenstr_at_my-deja.com wrote in message
>> <8m7h2r$hfi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>> >I am a "DBA in training" and have a question regarding
 Oracle tools.
>> >We purchased the complete OEM package and have yet to
 install it
>> >permanently on its own server / repository. In the
 meantime
 I have be
>> >using eval versions of TOAD for schema/procedure
 browsing
 etc. and more
>> >recently, DBArtisan. I find both of these programs much
 quicker, less
>> >clunky, more user friendly and generally easier to use
 than OEM. My
>> >question is: what does OEM do that the others don't? In
 particular the
>> >Embarcadero suite.
>> >
>> >Any others experiences and/or advice greatly
 appreciated.