UTL FILE..Problem while accessing mapped files

From: Makarand Natu <Makarand.Natu_at_originindia.com>
Date: 2000/07/31

Hi,

I'm running Oracle 8.0.5 on NT-4 (SP3) on Server (#1). I have mapped E:\ to a directory on another NT server (#2) on which I have some files stored. I need to access files in this directory. But when I try to read any file on this mapped directory using FOPEN procedure, INVALID OPERATION exception is raised. I checked the privileges on E:\ and they are ok. I tried using both the notations "E:\" and "E:" in the path argument of FOPEN i.e. FOPEN('E:\','f1.dat','R') and FOPEN('E:','f1.dat','R') but to no avail. Its not working.
I have also specified these paths in the parameter UTL FILE DIR in init.ora file.
I'm totally stuck on what the problem is? Is it something I'm missing. Please suggest ASAP.

TIA,
Makarand.