Re: Design Question

From: Frank <fbortel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

> Michael Hassey wrote:
>
> I have a design question / Survey for all dba who have dealt with
> multi-language sites via OAS.
>
> So, I have a series of packages that I now want to display in N number
> of languages (N is forecast to be _at_ 7)
>
> Do I,
>
> 1. Separate all the message text (buttons) etc. from the code, store
> it in a message table and call it to paint the screen for the
> users preferred language?
>
> 2. Run multiple statically translated packages, one version for each
> language and call THAT at run time?
>
> Have you come up against this?
>
> Concerns are performance vs. maintainability.
>
> Your thoughts, suggestions most welcome and appreciated.
>
> Mike
How about having a seperate package spec with all text? Or a seperate package, that will be called with a msg# and language id? BTW, the latter is the more or less the way Designers' Web Server Generator implements
different languages.

I'd go for option 1 in one way or another: simple to implement N+1...

Hth, Grtz,
Frank Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message