Re: Problem using TOAD with Oracle8 Personal

From: Robert Wagner <RobertWagner_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 2000/07/24

[Quoted] I've done a little more exploration. A recent respondent from that TOAD egroup pointed out that my problem might be not having Oracle Listener started, but I do. I just now found that turning it OFF doesn't affect my ability to access the db from Oracle8 Navigator OR my Access application. Presumably, this is one of the ways that Oracle8 Personal Edition is different from regular Oracle.

So, my questions are:
1) Does TOAD need it? If so:
2) Could I simply have it configured wrong?

FWIW, here is the contents of my LISTENER.ORA file:

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= oracle.world)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= ORCL)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= EXTPROC0)
) (ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY= NMP.world)
(PROTOCOL= NMP)
(SERVER= VECTRA-NT)
(PIPE= ORAPIPE)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= vectra-nt)
(Port= 1521)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= vectra-nt)
(Port= 1526)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= 127.0.0.1)
(Port= 1521)
)

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = 0
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = vectra-nt)
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = extproc)
      (PROGRAM=extproc)

    )
  )
PASSWORDS_LISTENER = (oracle)

TIA >>> Robert

"Robert Wagner" <RobertWagner_at_alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:LP%d5.23038$9E6.128259_at_newsr1.maine.rr.com...
> I download the freeware version of TOAD to use with Oracle8 Personal
> edition. For some reason, I can't connect. I've read the help file stuff,
[Quoted] > but it's no help.

> I AM seeing the connection names in the top right ("Database') dropdown
 list
[Quoted] > of the server login window.Here's a typical error output: