Re: Help ! How to use analyze command

From: Jim K <j>
Date: 2000/07/23

Instead of using COMPUTE, I would recommend using ESTIMATE Statistics unless you have lots of CPU idle time. According to Oracle (and my own experiences), ESTIMATE will be within 3% as accurate as COMPUTE and will take a fraction of the time.

I have found that doing an analyze on your most heavily used (updates, deletes, inserts) tables on a regular basis (every night in some cases, weekly in others) will help increase your speed significantly (provided your indexes and code are done right, of course!).

The next 2 greatest speed improvements are lots of RAM (which allows you to make sort_area_size larger for more sorts in RAM) and reducing fragmentation (in many cases either through REORGS of the database OR using Locally Managed Tablespaces)..

Just my humble opinion.

Jim

In article <8j2qtb$38v$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com says...