Problem using TOAD with Oracle8 Personal

From: Robert Wagner <RobertWagner_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 2000/07/21

[Quoted] I download the freeware version of TOAD to use with Oracle8 Personal edition. For some reason, I can't connect. I've read the help file stuff, but it's no help.

I AM seeing the connection names in the top right ("Database') dropdown list [Quoted] of the server login window.Here's a typical error output:

ORA-06413: Connection not open.
Details:
*** First assume we have a valid install and registry ***
Oracle home is set to D:\orant
Bin path is set to D:\orant\bin\
Using: D:\ORANT\BIN\ORA804.DLL

2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist, looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0< Oracle Path is now D:\orant\NET80\ADMIN
Looking for D:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora tnsnames.ora found

tnsnames entry: CMEXAMPLE
tnsnames entry: TCPEXAMPLE
tnsnames entry: NMPEXAMPLE
tnsnames entry: EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA
tnsnames entry: BEQ-LOCAL
tnsnames entry: SPXEXAMPLE
tnsnames entry: TCP-LOOPBACK

I'm not sure that the problem with the TNS_ADMIN environment variable is actually the problem, since it IS found in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0, but I originally didn't have it in the Registry at all. I created three such entries--one each in
SOFTWARE\ORACLE\,
SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0, and
SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\ID0.

All were created with the correct path for my Win NT machine, "D:\orant\NET80\ADMIN".

What worries me (a little) is the statement "Oracle Path is now D:\orant\NET80\ADMIN", since the PATH variable in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\ID0 is (correctly) set to "D:\orant".

Can anyone make any sense out of this?

TIA Received on Fri Jul 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message