Questions About Oracle Warehouse Builder OWB

From: <charlotte_hurley_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/19

Hello,

        My company is thinking of using Oracle Warehouse Builder, but before doing so, I need to answer some questions, which I have not been able to find out for myself, perhaps someone can help ?….

· When creating jobs :
· Does it need/use Oracle Enterprise Manager ?
· what licenses are needed ? (is a separate license for Enterprise
manager required also ?)
· Are there any dependencies ? meaning other licenses needed apart from the Oracle Warehouse Builder one.
· How are the tasks scheduled ?.

· If a table was to be appended to (i.e. a new column added) or a new schema created, what is (if any) the impact on the background or foreground of Oracle Warehouse Builder going to be ?. For example in SAS WA it would create and delete a number of temporary tables etc.

· What are the main benefits/co-features specific to it being used with Oracle8i ?… any things which can be taken advantage of ?.

· Would Oracle Warehouse Builder work with an Oracle 7.3.4 source, and an 8i Warehouse ?.

· Can other jobs be run with the Warehouse ? (while it is running). For example, SAS reports, reporting tools, or other non-Oracle Warehouse jobs.

· I noticed Oracle Warehouse Builder uses PL/SQL to pass information around, but I wanted to know, how does Oracle pass information from one database to another ?. For example, if I had 2 differing Oracle databases on separate Unix boxes, and the Oracle Warehouse Builder on an NT box, how would the data be passed when using the Oracle Warehouse Builder ?. Would it go straight from a Unix box to the next ?.

· Does Oracle Warehouse Builder store it's meta data in it's own repository directory as SAS WA does for example ?. If not, where does Oracle Warehouse Builder store it's Meta data ?.

· How can the meta data be accessed ?, can it be accessed through API or other means ?.

Thank you so much for your time in replying to any or all of these questions, your help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Charlotte Hurley
Faro_at_connection.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message