Re: switching of database

From: Chi <chi.hsiang.chihNOchSPAM_at_nl.abnamro.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/14

Indeed. We are using 5 databases with different SID. At login you just specify the SID you want. It's not neccesary to change the registery.

If you hardcoded your SID, so you can't specify it at startup, than you can change tnsnames.ora.

E.g. if you hardcoded ORCL in your code, change tnsnames.ora. If in tnsnames.ora ORCL point to DB1 and you want it to point to DB2, create a batchfile to replace them.

In article <396DCDF0.C86957EF_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>, Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> If they are using two databases, why don't you just
> set up two different
> entries in their TNSNAMES file? That way, they can
> connect to both
> databases without having to switch anything. This
> should work in most
> situations unless I've missed something in your
> question.
> HTH,
> Brian
> Sender wrote:
> >
> > Our users have to access 2 databases, one for
 production and another for
> > testing. Since the database name and client software
 path have to be
> > specified in the windows registry, we provide them
 with two icons and use
> > batch file to execute regedit to switch between the
 two environments.
> > Recently, auditor request us to disable registry
 editing (we use windows nt
> > v4.0 workstation). I like to know is the database
 switching method we use

  • Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful