Re: switching of database

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/13

[Quoted] [Quoted] If they are using two databases, why don't you just set up two different entries in their TNSNAMES file? That way, they can connect to both databases without having to switch anything. This should work in most situations unless I've missed something in your question.

HTH,
Brian

Sender wrote:

> Our users have to access 2 databases, one for production and another for
> testing. Since the database name and client software path have to be
> specified in the windows registry, we provide them with two icons and use
> batch file to execute regedit to switch between the two environments.
> Recently, auditor request us to disable registry editing (we use windows nt
> v4.0 workstation). I like to know is the database switching method we use
> the right way to do? If not, what method do you use?

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not