Re: PeopleSoft Comments???

From: Dave Bottom <brooktrout_at_ctel.net>
Date: 2000/07/11

Hang on to your hat!

Last year I came into the end of a PeopleSoft implementation that was underfunded, understaffed and completly misunderstood. Last year was hell, a "typical" ERP disaster.

Some observatons:

  1. Whatever your hardware vendor of choice tells you your database server should be for "sizing" double it. We're on our 3rd machine now (and it's been upgraded) and it's finally almost fast enough. Compaq and HP are the vendors I worked with and they both undersized the machine initially. HP was closer, Compaq's PeopleSoft competency center has not a clue. However; like anything else, a poorly written SQL statement can bury the server, PeopleSoft has many poorly written statements.
  2. Plan on spending alot of time tuning SQL and adding indexes that actually do something. The PeopleSoft application designer likes to add indexes, some are very redundant and some never get used.
  3. It's imperative that the business properly model their process otherwise you'll be attempting to put in kludgy workarounds to make up for a poor implementation planning, causing more problems downstream.
  4. If you're the DBA attend the data management course given by PeopleSoft.
  5. Ensure that your test plans are well thought out and get good coverage.
  6. Phase it in, don't just flip the switch.

Good luck!

dave