Re: Performance Tuning on TokenRing - HELP!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/07/10

"jen" <jen_at_sutherland.co.za> wrote in message news:3969ed90$0$776_at_proctor...
> Hello,
>
> We have an application with a central Oracle 7.3.3 db accessed by clients
> over a TokenRing WAN, which is DOG s l o w. Performance is fine for
 clients
> on the LAN (also TokenRing) but clients on the WAN take minutes instead of
> seconds to perform a task
>
> Are there any SQLnet or other parameters we can change specifically for
> TokenRing that will improve performance?
>
> *Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope!*
>

> Jennifer Sutherland
> End to End Logistics (Pty) Ltd
> Adding Efficiency to Business

No there are no specific token ring parameters, as sqlnet works on higher layers of the OSI model.
You could try setting the S(ession)D(ata)U(nit) and especially the T(ransmission)D(ata)U(nit), but as far as I know (from my experience) that's not going to help you anything.
The problem is the MaxMTU of the Token Ring Network is 1508 bytes and the TDU of Oracle is 2048 bytes. So in your current situation the network layer is going to fragment your packets, and of course that will happen on both your LAN and your WAN.
So I have a feeling you first need to compare configurations and throughput, before you start experiment with setting the TDU.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jul 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message